Sunday, January 18, 2015

The last chapter

Kiss me, let it be final.
Just for me, just once,
Finish the story.

Ships in the night must be about us,
We drift in and out of each other's lives.
And there's never a certain beginning,
Never a defined end.

We're just a handful of half finished sentences
Void of the commitment of tenses.
Floating without wheels or anchors,
Captains or passengers pleading for mercy.

You said "maybe in the future..."
But I know what that means.
I understand how life gets in the way.
But If you want something you don't give up on it.
I thank you,
But I don't need kindness, I need closure.
So take back the life boats that are just for show,
We both know we won't be needing them now. 

The next time we kiss will be the last.
You don't know it yet,
Not in those terms.
But like old Velcro we are just now beginning to unstick.
And this maiden voyoge isn't so maiden anymore.

And I will always remember how special I felt
On a night drive with you.
Music and darkness and the clearest sky with the brightest stars
And all the possibilities sitting in the seat next to you,
Young and infinite and aging.
But I know I was never special to you,
I just thought that if I wished hard enough
I would be.
Just the endless madding hope that one day
One of us would wake up different.
On a new shore, at another place, in a different time.

And so I am finally giving up on you.

I will run until it doesn't hurt anymore,
So far it hasn't happened yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment